You are here: Home » Weddings
Weddings in Mauritius
Getting married in Mauritius
A marriage performed in Mauritius is legally recognised by British Law.
The civil ceremony is similar to any British Registry Office ceremony. There is no legal obligation to register the wedding in the UK although it can be done through the British Consulate in Mauritius for a nominal fee. Civil ceremonies may take place any working day, Monday to Friday, excluding Public Holidays and subject to the agreement from the Hotel and the Registrar.
- First six pages of both passports
- Birth certificates
- Decree Absolute if any party is divorced
- If change of name, proof is required
- Death certificate in case of widow/widower
- Evidence of parents' consent (in the form of an Affidavit if any party under 18)
- Birth certificates
- Christening certificates
- Certificate of Good Morality (from respective Parish priest specifying that both parties are free)
- Specification of Religion (if parties are of different religions, case must go to Bishop)
Deadlines for documents required
- Photocopies of documents four weeks prior to wedding
- Couple must travel with originals for submission on wedding day
- Original documents required six weeks prior to wedding
- Original documents required eight weeks prior if parties are of different religions
Physical presence required on the island
The couple must go to the Main Registrar’s Office to sign an affidavit 24 hours prior to the wedding.
Couple to be on the island 15 days prior to the ceremony taking place.
If you intend to marry within 10 months of the divorce pronouncement, you will need a local doctor's certificate of non-pregnancy.
A basic wedding costs from £600 and includes
- Transport of Registrar
- Registrar on day of ceremony
- Transport of couple to complete formalities (1/2 day)
- Co-ordination fees
- Decorated location
- Bridal bouquet
- Button hole for Groom
Bridal picture at Beau Rivage courtesy of byStorm.
What you say about us:
Very much enjoying Paradise Cove and they couldn't do more for us, all because we are Susie Freeman guests! What a wonderful reputation you have here.
Mike & Judy Good